Iowa Lawyer Firm Profile Helpful Resources
Contact Us
Criminal Defense
Drug Crimes
Sex Crimes
Traffic Violations
Family Law
Child Custody
Child Support
Personal Injury
Car Accidents
Motorcycle Accidents
Premises Liability
Slip & Fall Accidents
Workers' Compensation
Wrongful Death
Visit our Blog

Child and Spousal Support

Ottumwa Divorce Lawyer

Are you involved in a child support or spousal support dispute in Ottumwa, Oskaloosa, or anywhere in Iowa? Are you looking for a local attorney with the experience to handle these issues? Child support matters can arise from a divorce or between the unmarried parents of a child. Spousal support or maintenance can also become a contested matter which will need to be resolved before your divorce can be finalized. If you need legal assistance or representation to handle these issues, we recommend that you contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey A. Smith to set up an initial consultation with the Ottumwa family lawyer at your earliest opportunity.

Jeff Smith has been practicing law for more than 20 years and has extensive experience in handling divorce and family law cases throughout the area. Because his is a sole practitioner law firm, you will get the personalized service you need from an attorney who will be the only one responsible for your legal matter from start to finish.

Child Support and Maintenance Issues

In Iowa, parents are responsible for the financial support of their children, whether married or not. Guidelines exist under Iowa law, which determine the amount of child support to be paid. If you need assistance with this, the Ottumwa / Oskaloosa divorce attorney can advise you on this. Furthermore, if you are the unmarried mother of a child, by establishing the paternity of your child's father, you can obtain necessary child support payments. Paternity is generally established through DNA testing. Modifications of child support payments can also be sought through the courts in cases where there has been a substantial change in the circumstances of the child or parents, such as when a paying parent loses employment.

Spousal support or maintenance on a temporary or permanent basis may or may not be granted to a spouse in a divorce, depending on the facts of the case. To get specific legal guidance on this issue, you should consult with our attorney.

Contact the Ottumwa family attorney at the firm if you need legal guidance or representation in a child support or spousal support matter.

Address: 219 1st Avenue East Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577
Oskaloosa Criminal Defense, Family Law, & Personal Injury | Contact Us | Site Map